A short history of Wyndham - it is W.A. most northerly township. Established in 1886 as a result of the Halls Creek gold rush the port services the huge cattle industry, the Ord River Irrigation Project and many mining companies. Population 1,000, annual rainfall 701 mm, max. temperatures 31-39C, min temperatures 17-27C. Situated on the Cambridge Gulf where the King, Pentecost, Durack, Forest and Ord Rivers meet it is home to some of the largest saltwater crocodiles in the world.
We drove up to the 5 Rivers Lookout with its great views but unfortunately it was very smoky so the view and photos aren't real good but it gave us an idea of the vastness of the area. The town of Wyndham was an interesting place - there were only 2 modern and new looking buildings in the town - one the council building and the other the cafe where we had lunch!!!! Also visited a few other interesting places around the district. The photos will tell the story for me.
| Wyndham town centre statue |
| View of the Wyndham Port from 5 rivers lookout |
| Heaps of iron ore in the foreground of photo ready to be loaded onto the ships |
| A load of iron ore being trucked in a road train to the port loading yard - they don't do things small in the north!!!!! |
| The town of Wyndham from the lookout |
| Another view from the lookout |
| A house in Wyndham - needs a little more than TLC I think!!!!!! |
| The oldest part of Wyndham - main street |
| Boab Tree |
| Above and Below - A safe place to have a business???? doesn't look like it!!! |
| Empty shop - one of many |
| Special circumstances???? I wonder what they are!!! |
| Gully Cemetery |
| This was very interesting |
| Afghan Cemetery |
On the way back to Kununurra we saw a sign that said 'The Grotto'. So we went to check it out. I decided that I wouldn't walk to the bottom when I saw the start of the steps!!!!! So David went on his own while I sat in the hot sun at the top and waited.
| At the bottom |
| The centre of the photo is the start of the stairs down!! |
| A section of the stairs!!!! |
| David arriving back at the top of the stairs |
I wonder if the donkeys were buried alive with their masters? I've heard of past cultures where a man's wife would be buried alive with him when he died. :S
ReplyDeleteThe Grotto looks pretty!
Really, sis??!! Goodness gracious...which culture was that?!! How awful!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos, Mum! Can't believe you weren't game to try those stairs...they look pretty tame to me! ;) Loved seeing the Boab tree...it's been awhile since I've seen one of those! How ridiculous do they look?!