Sunday, 2 October 2011

Western Australian Wild Flowers

So far on this trip we have seen some pretty interesting wild flowers and most growing in barren, red dirt country that's dry and dusty.  Here are some of them that we have clear photos of. They were all taken with David's camera and some I have been able to identify from the two W.A. Wildflower books I have bought. Some of them are really tiny.  There are well over 13,000 wildflower species in Western Australia so far recorded with new ones being identified all the time.   (So we haven't seen them all yet)!!!!!!!!    The areas with the most wildflowers are south of here but each day we travel south we can see more and more varieties on the roadsides.

Warty apple bush (8mm diameter) 

Fan-leaved lace flower (10mm)

Cotton bush (10mm - each flower)

Stobbs goodenia (12mm)


(10mm)

Desert Rose (50mm)

Wild rubber tree (20mm)


Poison morning glory (20mm)

(10mm)

(20mm)

Cup Hibiscus (30mm)

Slender petalostylis (20mm)

Pilbara starflower (10mm)

(20mm - one flower)

Hook-seeded sida (15mm)

Nodding mulla mulla (5-10mm)


And just for something a little different but no less beautiful - a pink galah ( a pity it looked away at the last moment)



4 comments:

  1. Wow, I love these pics of wildflowers. Certainly some interesting and different looking ones in there...great photography of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flowers are so interesting! I love the nodding mulla mulla. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mum, I have a suggestion...just realised we hardly ever see photos of you and Dad on your blog...or even just you guys separately in photos. Would love to see some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plenty of photos of my hands in this flower blog!!!! Have you forgotten what we look like??????

    ReplyDelete